« Home | F'IN WIRELESS INTERNET PIECE OF POO » | OH MY GOD » | T-shirt! » | I cleaned! » | I like all the guessing. Meritt is close. If my ... » | WOA!!!!!! » | Choir Talk » | Mamma Mia! Coming to the Big Screen » | My one non-important work problem recently » | Dude, I suck » 

Monday, May 01, 2006 

The love of theatre

Here is a snippet from the interview Paul Rudd did with broadway.com it sums it up nicely and I really wanted to share:

After your success in movies and on Friends, no one would have been surprised if you'd given up theater, and yet you continue to do low-profile readings in addition to full productions. Why?
I love it! Theater is the most enriching and thrilling thing to do as an actor. It trumps movies and all that other stuff. People say, "You must love the instant feedback," and we're all attention whores for sure—that's why we choose this profession. But it goes beyond that: There's something magical about a shared experience in a theater, with actors and an audience. I don't know if the audience members realize just how huge a part they play in a production. How they are determines how we are, and when it all works, it's magical. I still remember plays I saw 15 years ago; it's resonant in a way that films can't be, even though I love movies. It's right there, and when it's over, it's over. There's something so cool about that. And there are so many great plays to do! Last but not least, it is the one way to improve as an actor. When you have to do the same thing every day and try to make it work every day, you get better. You understand subtext and character dynamics more. I read scripts differently because of the plays I've done.

I have to agree. Being in front of a crowd really is an interactive experience -- nothing like it.

Post a Comment