« Home | Mamma Mia! Coming to the Big Screen » | My one non-important work problem recently » | Dude, I suck » | ITW » | Death and Blogger » | Fret not! » | A report on the water situation » | Jobs and Gas » | I can't help it... » | Those darn weekends » 

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 

Choir Talk

Pull up a chair, it's time to talk about choir.

The choir I'm in is having some concerts coming up here. You know we did our December concerts, with such good music (and I got our CD by the way!! So exciting to have the cd of the choir I'm in and with the music I loved so much) and now it's time for the spring concerts.

The music is good, I don't think I like it, on the whole, as much as last time, but I still love it a lot! Choir music just makes me smile, makes me happy. The voices blending, the harmonies ringing, the tones soaring. Love it! And we're an auditioned choir, so we are good!! You know, that makes a difference. There are some negatives to the choir, but I'm not going to express them as I know my blog is not anonymous.

If anyone is interested in hearing the choir, you can e-mail me and I'll let you know when/where/how much.

I am saddened though, and this happened quite a while ago but I never blogged about it, that I got bumped down for one song. As you all know I'm a first tenor, a high first tenor, but for some reason I'm not sure my director quite knows me or what I can sing (whenever she's heard me sing by myself I've been SOOOOOOOO nervous I've always sounded like shit) but the rest of the first tenors know how high I can get, in fact I was happy when the guy who I think, and everyone eles thinks, is the best tenor in our choir told me that he would just assume I'd be singing 1st on this song because I'm one of the highest if not the highest tenors in the choir, and I sing it to naturally...that made me happy (who doesn't like being complimented, honestly?!) So ANYWAY, I digress which I always do. I got bumped OFF first tenor, in this GORGEOUSLY BEAUTIFUL tenor song, to 1st baritone!!!!!!!! not down to second tenor which often sings with the first tenors, but to 1st baritone!!!!! WTF?!? As you can tell I'm still not over it...all the way. I am in a sense that I like the part I'm on, it's the meledy and it's gorgeous too. But nothing beats soaring up at those high notes that just sound so lovely and everyone can hear no matter what other parts are also singing. Sucks, but, maybe she had an alterior motive for putting me there, I doubt it, but who knows! Also...there's a solo for the first baritones...and as much as I'd like to have it, I think I'm too nervous and anxious to have a solo in this choir yet. I just started there, I have low confidence in my singing sometimes, especially in front of this director and some of the members who are SO good, and though I know I could do it, I don't know that I could do it.

Anyway! Gotta go.

First of all, you're lucky to be in a audition-based choir. I'm not. Big-huge-difference.

Second, you like choir which is a good thing. It's really not my thing. I'm a soloist through and through; the social structure of choirs frustrates me.

Third, working 1st baritone might be a good thing too. Especially to have that kind of range and a director that trusts you to handle it. I had to do alto cantoring over Easter and it just about killed me, but I was honored that TheDirector trusted me with it. I felt necessary.

I say, roll with it.

Post a Comment