« Home | ARGH! » | Nervous! » | Small Update » | Rehearsals » | The Wiggles Live on Stage!!! :-D » | Crazy Busy! » | Yay, fun game » | Stressed » | This is me singing "No More" in rehearsal Monday f... » | Here's the t-shirt (and yours truly) » 

Thursday, May 25, 2006 

Better

Last night went considerably better!

The only problem was that my Baker's Wife was gone for the first 45 of the show! She has to work late, and so I had to do a number of scenes without her, most of the time with someone saying her lines for her and then when we had to sing it was either me counting until my part, or the conductor would sing her part...that was tough, but then when she came back all was good.

I didn't mess up any of my songs (well I missed one two word two note part of a song but we moved right past it).

Tonight I'm really looking forward to making things tighter and smoother. The orchestra and I had some problems staying together on "No More" but that is party because that's the second time we've ever done it, and, I wasn't counting :-/

I'll def. need to review my song and how long notes should be and rests and what not. There's always room for taking your own liberties, and I do that, but there are parts where I should be counting and I'm not, I'm just feeling the music and when to come in.

I've never been the greatest counter in the world. I rely a lot on feeling and knowing when to come in and what not, and it does work tremendously for me, but there are times when I need to count, and I do that no problem, mostly. But it is virtually impossible for me to count WHILE singing, so if I feel like holding my note out for more than 2 beats, knowing I am only suppose to hold it for 2 beats then 4 beats of rest then back in, and I hold it out longer AND don't count, then it's tough to know when to come back in without a solid cue from an instrument in the orchestra, which I do NOT have in "No More" for parts of it.

Sondheim is notorious for not giving you shit to work with in the accompaniment parts for his musicals! There is most definitely something going on down there in the pit, but it's nothing that helps the singer!

Sondheim is the most difficult musical theatre shows to do. Most difficult rhythms, most difficult lyrics, most difficult note structure...it's fantastic! and I love it!

I have been having a bitch of a time getting my mic to stay taped to the side of my face (because I sweat a lot...) and FINALLY my sister came to the rescue with actual face tape used in theare for this purpose, so, my mic was stuck to my face last night and it stayed there and it was a life saver! Thank You!

We shall see how tonight goes...!

After 2 nights ago's rehearsal I wasn't so sure this show was coming together fast enough but that almost always feels like the case at some point or another, and last night was just one of those off nights...after last night's rehearsal I know it's there and I know it'll happen, we just need to keep working at it :-)