« Home | Big Day » | Interesting Question of the Week » | Death » | A Little Christmas Responsibility » | Movies over the long weekend » | Yes, I am back » | ByeBye » | Run, Forrest, Run » | Lowes Update ;-) and the rest of the night » | The Christmas Rose » 

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 

Big Day Results

I didn't quite want to post this in case someone who shouldn't, is reading my blog...but it has nothing to do with where I currently work, so I don't see why I couldn't write about it...right?



I had an interview yesterday afternoon at 4:30 pm! I'm really hoping I get this one. It's for a marketing assistant with a bank in Ames. It would just be me and Angie, the Marketing Director. She is the nicest, sweetest girl in the world. She's gotta be in her late 20's.

I'm thinking, hoping, this job is a blessing in disguise. I heard about the job two Saturday's ago because my mom saw it in the Ames Tribune. She told me about it, but it was a "come on in a fill out an application" job. Well, I leave Story City at 7 am and don't get to Ames until 5:15-5:30 at the earliest, so I'm never in Ames during normal business hours, so I can't apply for jobs in person. But, when my Great Aunt Arlette passed away, I got a day off work Wednesday to attend the funeral. After the funeral, at 3:30, I was still in my suit, perfect, so I went on in with my portfolio and my resume.

When I got there the receptionist told me Angie wasn't in but I could sit and fill out an application. I did, and while I was filling it out Angie came back! So after I filled it out and handed it to the receptionist she led me in to Angie's office. We talked for a couple minutes, she said my resume looked great, like I had some great prior work experiences and it looked like I had some good computer skills as well. She was going to do interviews next week, wanted someone in before the end of the year so they could job shadow the woman that's leaving. That all sounded great, so I was very nice and pleasing and we seemed to hit it off, and then I left.

I got a call Thursday or Friday to get an interview, and I set it up for Monday.

At the interview it all went just perfect! She seemed to love me and what I had to offer and where I had been and what I had done previously. She asked me some of the corny interview questions and I think I answered them all perfectly. I even caught her off-guard, in a good way, with some of my answers. Inter-mixed with some light off-topic conversation. It was great. She asked me if I had any questions and I asked her if she had any examples of the work that is currently being put out and she loved that I asked that. Showed that I was a real designer because I wanted to see what level of work was being done and what themes were being displayed in all forms of marketing. The only odd thing was she didn't want to see my portfolio, though she mentioned saving it for someone else to see. She talked about callbacks so I'm hoping I get another interview (though I'll have to find a way to skip out of work early again -- and now I have ZERO pto left). She says herself she knows nothing about graphics and designing, so that's part of the reason she didn't need to see my portfolio. Which, if I get the job, is good because she'll probably love what I do, and I'm pretty confident that I can turn out a good product for her and really thrive at this job.

I just know I did as good at this interview as I could, so now I just play the waiting game. I'm hoping for a second interview, probably from the sounds of it with the HR person and with the woman, Becky, who currently has the Marketing Assistant position.

Sending you nothing but well wishes your way - sounds like it all went well.

Sounds like you really want this... and it sure would be CLOSER TO HOME! I'll cross my toes for ya!

Best of luck to you, man. I'm sure you would welcome the break.

What a great site » »

Post a Comment