« Home | If You Give A Mouse A Cookie & Other Stories » | This would fix it » | Into the Woods Logo » | Babysitter Report » | Valentine's Day » | Good for Kristy! » | 2006 Winter Olympics: Torino » | I Know I'm Late...but » | Stupid Britney » | Iowa Stars Hockey Game » 

Friday, February 24, 2006 

New Book & DVD

RENT-themed post ahead...turn back now if you must.

This is Anthony Rapp's new book. I just got it in the mail on Tuesday, and I'm excited to read it. The theatre-based web site I frequent has talked a lot about it, and so it sounds as if it'll be a good read! It's about his time with the show, he was the original Mark in RENT on Broadway, then in LA, then in London, and is also Mark in the major motion picture. Also, his life, not just about RENT too, and it sounds like he really has a good writing voice.


Also, RENT: The Movie came out as well on Tuesday and we picked it up (with Godspell!) at Best Buy. I saw it opening night in the theatres, so I haven't popped it in my DVD player yet. But there are a lot of good extras that I am pretty excited to watch...just haven't gotten to it yet. The movie...it's good. It could have been better. Some of the scenes don't work very Well (What You Own anyone? Today 4 You Tomorrow 4 Me anyone?) but I liked it. I'll see how much I like it after I see the deleted scenes of the songs and scenes Chris Columbus took out. Also there is an alternate ending that everyone is talking about that I'm curious to see. I haven't read what happens in the alternate scenes or really what happens in the cut scenes, though I know what was cut just not how it was approached, so I can have a fresh look at them.

I'm a bit frustrated at North Grand 5 in Ames. They are the dollar theatre here in town. They get everything, just after it's been out for a while. Well, they haven't had RENT. My wife didn't get to see it with me because our daughter wasn't feeling good and my best friend was in town and he loves RENT with me and so we wanted to go see it together, and V let us, but she was a little frustrated. Well, when it comes to the dollar theatre we were going to see it, and it wasn't there yet. So I e-mailed them and they replied saying they just found out it would open there Feb 24...tonight. Well, I checked their web site on Monday because it shows the movies playing and RENT was not listed. So I e-mailed them again and they said:

The distributor came back to us and said a print was not available at this time.
I hate to drive away business, but the film does come out on DVD either Next
Tuesday or is out already. Sometimes we just can't get a hold of a print to
show. Sorry for the mix up.


Well, no shit it comes out on DVD, I know they were just trying to be nice by telling me this, but 1.)I already know and 2.) We want to see it on the BIG screen, way different than seeing on our stupid home TV.

I just wanted to take V to see it on the big screen because she missed it originally and I feel bad about that. The whole time it was at the normal priced theatre we just didn't get out to see it, money, time, etc. so were going to catch it on the dollar theatre....but no. Maybe they'll get it still? But I doubt it.

ALSO, side note of disappointment...the 12 screen theatre here in Ames NEVER got The Producers movie. What the F??