« Home | TiVo loves me! :-) » | Full body massage » | Next blog » | Community Involvement (Blogger Community, That Is) » | Here I am! » | Merry Christmas All! » | Ok, we have a little problem » | Well » | She's gone » | It drives me nuts... » 

Monday, December 27, 2004 

Question:

My co-worker's mom dies, do I need to go to the funeral?

I don't think I do...I never knew her, besides the fact that I've only been working here for 2 years anyway. I mean, I know it shows support for her, and we're fairly close for co-workers here, but I don't really feel I need to go to the funeral.

It's also this Thursday and I'm taking Thursday off to clean the apartment and pack things to leave for Washington on Friday. But that's not an excuse I'm trying to come up with, I just don't feel like it's something I need to go to.

I'm not going to feel pressured into going because the rest of my department and probably half of the office is going, but this is a weird office I work in. My other co-worker's (her mom works here too) grandpa died (the mom's dad) and about half of the office went to the funeral...is that normal?

I just want to know if I'm being an ass or not...what would you do in this situation?

Are you forgetting that 75% of the people you work with are related? FMH is a family owned company that hires alot of family. No, you don't need to go.

Ok, because, man, she's not related to anyone in this company, she's just been working here for 38 years, so that's why some are going.

But the two that have been working here for just a couple months are going? Why?

I'm the only one in our department of 6 that's not going...I'm going to look like a pile of poo. I just don't feel its something I need to go to, I didn't know her. I know my co-worker and I feel for her, but if my mom died, I wouldn't want anyone from working coming to the funeral...maybe I just think different than most people?

Thanks for your comment Jody!

I'd give your co-worker a nice sympathy card.
That's all.
(I'd feel very very weird and out of place GOING to the funeral of someone I didn't know...)

That's exactly what I am doing, and that's how I feel.

Thanks Jody and Meritt for setting me at ease.

Best regards from NY!
» » »

Post a Comment