« Home | I can't think of a catchy title this morning... » | Getting to know me... » | Nothingness » | Torn... » | Hello world, it's me... » | Twinkies...what? Yes, I said Twinkies » | More Theatre... » | I need my throat... » | Sick...and some theatre...and why not throw in som... » 

Tuesday, October 05, 2004 

Absurd for the Theatre, or Theatre of the Absurd?

Am I absurd for loving theatre so much, or is it just that theatre is full of absurd people?

Today a co-worker was talking about a person they know that has a doctorate in virtual reality and is one of the foremost people working with virtual reality and it’s all happening right at Iowa State. While she was talking about that I started contemplating my hobbies, my loves, what is just in my head and what information keeps growing. And that is theatre. My co-worker was wondering how this person could keep so much in his head and know so much and that they just read all the time and absorb so much. I was wondering, why couldn’t I have chosen something different to absorb and read about and become a pseudo expert in?

The reason I wonder why I couldn’t have chosen something different is because then I maybe could have made a career out of it, a high paying, respected career out of it. Instead, here I am with all this love and devotion to theatre, all this knowledge that is, essentially, going to waste. It’s not going to waste because I know it, and it makes me happy, so what else does it need to do? Well…it needs to get me a job.

People choose to love computers, which I do, but it just doesn’t seem that I can grasp onto it like everyone else. They choose to love computers and then make lots of money out of what they love to do and love to know. They make lifetime careers out of it. Well, yes, it is possible to make a career out of everything I know and love, I suppose, but 1.) It’s not near as easy, 2.) I live in Iowa and am kind of attached to here at the moment and 3.) I think it has to do with what has gone on in my life thus far.

So, what does it come down to…is the way my life turned out to blame? If I wouldn’t have gotten married and had a kid would I have been doing something different? I tend to think so…but I don’t want to NOT have Veronica and Kaia, most certainly not, most certainly not at all. Things would have been different though.

If I could have done what I think I might have done, I would have dropped my Communications program and made my theatre minor into a major and pulled up vocal performance and made it a major as well. BUT…do I have the cajones to make it as a vocal performance major? Hell yeah I do…don’t have much doubt that I don’t at all…much…but come on, can’t I think that? Don’t I HAVE to think that if I ever planned on making it? People have always, and still do, tell me that I have a beautiful voice, and there is just something to it that makes it so spectacular and makes them want to listen. The only thing I need, and I still think this is true, is someone to guide me, someone to train me. I have the voice, and some of it is naturally there, but hell, everyone on Broadway is trained time and again and for years and years…train with me, I can be something great!!!! But, this is a bit off topic, and believe me, it will be covered some day in this here blog.

When it comes to straight knowledge of theatre, why can’t I make a living out of it? Why can’t I make hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars off of it? Because it’s the WRONG industry for that sort of thing, but it’s what I love to do and it’s not going to change…ever! All I simply want, ladies and gentlemen, is a job in the theatre industry. I can do financial planning for a theatre, I can do public relations, I can do planning and implementing of tours that come through, I can do anything for a theatre, as long as it doesn’t require bitch work, I want a real job thank you very much. But there’s people better qualified.

Where can I use my knowledge of theatre? Working for broadway.com or working for playbill the magazine, or playbill.com working for American Theatre (do you underline titles of magazines?) working for The Civic Center to promote the tours that come through, to figure out what the people want to see? To see what tours we can get in here that are hip and new…etc, etc.

Or how about I produce shows? YEAH RIGHT…I need to already have millions of dollars and be a big wig and what not…that’s out of it.

Does any of this make sense or am I really just scatterbrained? Well, I know I’m not scatterbrained, I just have so much to think about and so much to say, and so many points to refute before anyone can come back on me and say “well, this and this.”

Also, I write this throughout the day, so sometimes there's 2 hour breaks before I come back to it.

There is so much to say on this topic and the other’s I kind of half went off onto, but I’ll save that for another day :-)

I was lucky enough to get to spend the day with one of my best friends, Julie, who came down from Mpls to visit before the baby is born. We were talking and got on the subject of living your life, are you doing what you want, happiness and all those general things. I told her that the only thing I wish I had was an intense desire and knowledge of what I am, who I am. I used my other girlfriend, Gina, as an example. Gina is an artist. She works in metals but she is doing more painting and has an amazing talent. That's her passion, she knows what she is. And I am so jealous of that.

So why the long story before I get to my point? I don't really know... but I do know that I am incredibly awestruck by anyone who has an incredible talent and follows it in whatever way they can. It must be an incredible feeling to have that knowledge and passion.

I understand what you're saying and have felt the same way. I got married and now have two kids, and have wondered if I'd be somewhere else careerwise had I chosen a different path.

The way I answered that difficulty was to take control and start my own theater company, realizing and accepting the limitations from the start. In other words, I knew I'd never be famous and it was likely I'd never even earn a living doing my work. But I also knew I'd be able to create theater and be fulfilled that way. And if the theater company survives after I'm gone, then I will have added an important artistic institution to my community. That's a pretty good legacy.

It's about surviving in the real world while still finding a way to fill your soul.

And it's also late at night and I am tired, so I'll apologize now for rambling.

That's actually a really big dream of mine and my wifes someday, Matt! You hit it right on the head. I'm sure I'll talk about this in my next blog today...especially with the sudden and very abrupt closing of the Ingersoll Dinner Theatre here in Des Moines.

I didn't know the Ingersoll closed! Ack! Was it because of money issues?

Yup, Matt, financial reasons. He just up and closed it on Monday in the middle of a production run and in the middle of the rehearsal process of another show. No one knew, he just did it. Sad...

Answer: it's full of absurd people.

Who else would work so hard for such little money? :) (And usually no money!?) LOL!!!

No... it's kind of like being a catholic school teacher. You don't do it for the money. You do it for the love of it.

hmmm hi lars.

Post a Comment