« Home | Las Vegas Phantom cast announced! » | Small Update » | There's probably so much to say... » | Auditions are OVER » | So........ » | ITW Poster » | New Book & DVD » | If You Give A Mouse A Cookie & Other Stories » | This would fix it » | Into the Woods Logo » 

Monday, April 03, 2006 

The Lion King @ The Civic Center


Here is the article from kcci.com (my notes to follow):

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Thousands of people have been flocking to Des Moines the past month for one reason -- Disney's "The Lion King."

The city had hoped it would be a huge success, and the Broadway musical did not disappoint.

It is the most successful show in the Civic Center's history.

The colorful show has been bringing in a lot of green. It's setting all new records at the Civic Center and is now sold out. The last single ticket was sold on Thursday night.

"We've set a new attendance record, a new sales record," said Civic Center President and CEO Jeff Chelesvig.

Chelvsvig couldn't be happier. He persuaded the Disney production to come to what the company considers a smaller market because he knew it would play well to an Iowa audience.

"I hear this from a lot of actors that … it helps their performance so much because they feel warmth from the audience, and they can give that back," Chelesvig said.

The audience was bigger than ever. The last Civic Center record set by "Phantom of the Opera" had 98,000 attendees during its first run at the venue.

"Lion King" broke that and will be seen by about 120,000 attendees.

"It's been awesome. The Civic Center is the best neighbor for economic boom for us," said Scott Carlson, of the Court Avenue Brewery.

Carlson said his Court Avenue Brewery has had its best and busiest month in the past year.

The restaurant created a Mufasa mousse especially for "Lion King" customers.

"It's basically banana cream pie in a beer glass," he said.

Restaurants and hotels that housed the cast and crew, as well as all of the out-of-towners who came in for the event, said they hate to see the final curtain call.

The show ends April 9.

Experts said that for every $1 spent on a Civic Center ticket, $2 are spent in the community.

Those who still want tickets to the show can check the Civic Center Web site to see if a few tickets might become available.

The venue's next show is "Hairspray," which won the Tony Award for best musical.


I loved it! I'm so glad it is doing so well in Iowa too. Theatre being accepted and loved always makes me a happy boy. We got to go on Saturday because that's what I asked for from my sisters for my birthday! It was wonderful. Such a good stage show. The only other show I'd say comes up with Lion King for just such a spectacle (in a good way) to watch is Wicked. Lion King is amazingly beautiful. The costumes and sets...who can say more? If you've looked into the show at all that's one of the first things you run onto, is how beautiful and expansive the costumes and sets are.

Next is Hairpsray and sorry to say, we can't go :-( We have NO money, as previously established, so no fun things.

Once again, for perhaps the 10th time, I've applied for a job at the Civic Center. It's basically being a customer service team leader, so I doubt they'll even consider me, but it still gets me all giddy. Working for the Civic Center would be BEYOND a dream come true. I would give my all, 200%, all my love and passion into a job at the Civic Center. Theatre is my THING, I would do anything to work for a theatre. So, as long as my resume is pending...I'll continue being giddy and excited at the prospect. Cross everything you can for me, pray to anyone you can for me, and maybe someday all our hoping and praying and crossing will pay off for me!

1. My co-worker is going on Thursday. He is quite excited as well.

2. A job there would be cool. We would see you in May during BabyGirls recital too! :)

i'll keep my fingers crossed for you! (and i'm glad you got to see the show...i'm jealous)

When V graduates you two really need to consider moving to Minneapolis. The theater "movement" there is HUGE- thrid in the nation, I believe. You could work your way up through the smaller theaters. Seriously, you should consider it. You will want to be in the burbs, though at the schools in Mpls suck. :)

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »

Post a Comment