« Home | Ever Feel... » | My states » | Clarification Post » | I feel like I have so much to say! » | My brain is female?! » | I hate 'em but I'm going to do one... » | DAMMIT » | Titanic » | Helipad Wonderment » | Chess » 

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 

High school Freshman year English class stories

We had to write fiction stories in our high school freshman year English class and I LOVED it. (I still wish I could be a writer, really bad) I remember writing a fairly long story about a detective I named "Pepsi Harris."

See...I was really good at writing these stories, but I was SO picky on how I named my characters that if I really thought about it, if it just didn't come to me and I really thought about what I wanted to name them, I'd be there all year trying to think of the perfect name. I'm really finicky in that way. So anyway, Pepsi Harris came about because I had the basic plot of the story, I just couldn't write it until I had my damn character's name. I don't remember the rest of the characters names, but I do remember Pepsi Harris. So I was looking around the room at my classmates and one had a Pepsi shirt on...and another one had a Harris Auto Racing t-shirt on. The birth of Pepsi Harris.

I know I wrote a kick ass story, and I know I wrote several over the course of the semester...but I can't find any of them, and I'm sure my teacher has long since thrown them away and if I go back to read it they were probably horrible, but for some reason I still think they were good, because why else would I remember them?

The real reason I came on to type all this out was because I did something that I know of no one else doing...I always killed off my main character in some wicked twist that no one saw coming in every single story I wrote.

YES BABY! *I envisioned myself sounding like George Constanza when I said/typd that -- so go with that*

I loved it. Everyone is writing these stories, some interesting, some not, but they all end the same damn way...the main character is ok or wins or gets the girls or solves the crime. Not just in English class, but in movies and books and everything. No no no no no no no...in Lars' stories the main character dies and it is almost always a "bad" or "tragic" or "sad" ending...

I've always wanted to be unique I guess...do something different...approach it from a different angle...catch the teachers/students/readers attention.

Not many people liked it, I don't actually remember if anyone did. I can't remember if the teacher did. I would venture a guess my best friend did. I should call him and ask him if he remembers our stories we had to write.

I do, for some reason, remember he was in to fantasy writing and he had an elf, who was normal height, with pointy ears he named "Surreal" as the main character in his story. I guess I remember because I didn't know anything about fantasy so I had debated with him at great length on the fact that all elves are short. Such great length that we even went to Waldenbooks and he got out some books to show me that elves are indeed normal height sometimes. I must also remember this because it was my introduction to the word "surreal." Don't ask me why, but I hadn't heard the word before.

The memories...they make me smile :-) I feel all good inside now :-)

This would have been '95/'96...