« Home | Don't ya just hate it when you make an ass of your... » | Face Memory » | A New Suit and some Mother F*&*#$$@ Ties » | Interesting Test » | Blogger » | Robots » | What?! Wow... » | Hello! » | Hey, Blogger, Just So You Know... » | American Idol -- America ALMOST got it right » 

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 

The Contender

I FINALLY got around to watching the first episode on my TiVo last night.

It was SOOOOOO good.

I just found myself rivited to the TV. A guy who is #3 in the world, Peter Malfredo Jr. considered one of the top boxers if not the top boxer in that show, got challenged by Alfonso Gomez, a boxer from Mexico who is considered one of the weaker contestant.

Alfonso Gomez's team, the West team, won the challenge and got to pick a boxer from their team and a boxer from the East team to go head to head. They were going to pick one of their weaker boxers and one of East's weaker boxers, but Alfonso looks over at their boxer of choice and can tell this dude is scared and doesn't want to do it, so he pipes up.

"I can tell he doesn't want to do it and I want to take on Malfredo"

He wanted to go up against a stronger opponent. He wanted to show that they can be beat and he wanted to prove himself.

When they announced their boxers of choice, Sylvester Stallone and Sugar Ray Lenoard were both like "I can't believe it. I don't get it, but ok"

Malfredo has a wife and little 3 or 4 year old daughter. They come to see his fight, the first fight his daughter has ever seen. (I would NEVER let my daughter watch me box if I was a boxer) Malfredo, mind you, is 22-0, and Gomez is like 14-6 or something like that.

Everytime a contender boxes his win or loss goes on his record, it's not just some competition where it doesn't matter in the real world. When someone like Malfredo comes to this competition he is putting his perfect record on the line.

They got all the families, who had them, of the contenders put up in houses around L.A. so they could be there with their husband/daddy, so that's why the family was there.

THey did this whole montage on Malfredo's family and how much he loves them and how much he was thinkign about the fight and when his little one came into the locker room about an hour before the fight, she started crying. It was SO sad, I didn't want him to lose.

But I was SO rooting for Alfonso, just the nicest guy who has all the good kind of confidence in himself. Very determined, very rooted in his family. They had a montage of him with his Mom and Dad and brother. His dad was a boxer too. I wanted him, the big underdog, to win too.

So they fight, and alfonso just WHOOPS up on Malfredo in the first round. And they show Sylvester and Sugar Ray and everyone who is just liek "What they hell?! Where did this come from??" and then in the second round Malfredo whoops up on Alfonso, gives him a cut under his eye and all that. THen in the third round it's a tie, they both did well. In the fourth and final round, Alfonso comes out and just takes Malfredo to town, and Malfredo knows he just not going to win, you can tell, his team can tell and his family can tell.

So Alfonso ends up winning...it was SUCH a good fight and SUCH a good show.

They show Malfredo in the shower afterwards and he's crying and he's not mad at Alfonso he's just disappointed in himself and he talks about that, and it's sad.

This show GOT me, so now I have to make sure the other 2 shows that have aired so far don't delete so I can watch them.