« Home | Church » | Special Projects Job » | Hmaburger Helper and Google AdSense » | What to say... » | Canada's Supreme Court Allows Same-Sex Marriage » | Watch your scrotum fellas! » | Stylin' and Profilin' » | The "I'm so cool" worker » | Phenom » | Spamalot » 

Monday, December 13, 2004 

So, anyway, church.

I went to my friend's church in West Des Moines of Jordan Creek Parkway again to sing in the choir. It's Lutheran Church of Hope and it's such a good church!

Now, I like church, it's not bad at all, I just don't like getting up in the morning to go to church, and if there's a church service on Saturday, I really don't feel like going Saturday either! But this church can change my mind!

The two times I've gone to Lutheran Church of Hope I've had to get up at 7 am or earlier to do so, and I was ok with that.

This church rocks! They have about 8-10 pastors and the two I saw preach for the two different Sundays were awesome! Both of the times I was there I met nothing but nice people, it was so refreshing. It's a lively church full of energy and hunger.

This church is HUGE. I believe even though it's only been around, I think less than a year, it is the largest Lutheran Church, maybe in Iowa. It's got over 4,000 members. It has tons of bible classes etc, it has about 8 services a day between contemporary and traditional and, like I said, about 8-10 pastors. It has a full gym in the basement and tons of rehearsal spaces and classrooms, etc. It's just awesome.

The first was intern Pastor Molly. Interestingly enough two of my best friends are in seminary up at Luther Seminary and they were in classes and studied alot with this Molly and now their both off doing their internships and she's here in Des Moines doing hers. She was a very good speaker. She just was impressive and loved what she was doing and carried it well, I was very impressed.

The second time I was there, yesterday, Pastor Mike was preaching and he was AWESOME. His sermon was SO good, it just...was great. They were still covering the book "Dream Giver" by Wilkinson I believe. He didn't just talk about the book though, he talked about the themes in there etc. and it was such a good service.

Oh then there's Pastor Richard who just ROCKS out on the organ. This dude is the best organist in the country, he has to be. Chris, my best friend who's the new choir director at this church and is why I have been going to sing, was a music major at college and he knows the organ and teaches lessons etc. and even he is blown away, he can't do anything Pastor Richard can. He such a fireball when you talk to him too, it's awesome.

We sang "Mary Did You Know?" and it was a beautiful arrangement.

The ONLY problem is it's 45 minutes away from home...which just isn't convenient in any way shape or form...and it makes me mad! So I've only gone up for when the choir sings so far.

I was saying in the car with V and our friends Allison and Chris that I loved the church and the sermons and Allison says, "That's just surprising to hear. I never really considered you a church person. I mean you're Christian and all, but you don't attend church reguarly." and I don't, I go to my church about 1 or 2 times a month, maybe. I went on to explain that I like church and I just don't like getting up early and I've never felt as awesome about a church until this one and so that's why. I also just don't like those psycho church people, who just talk non-stop about it and seem a little kookoo for cocoa puffs in the head. I don't like people who throw and stuff their religion down your throats, or who think their all high and mighty but are really the biggest hypocrites in the world...yeah, just don't like that.

I should mention that I will attend church reguarly when Kaia needs to go to Sunday school. As it is, we DO need to go more because she likes church even though she has no idea what it is, etc. She likes church and the singing and whatever else. I just wish I could find a church that makes me excited like Lutheran Church of Hope does.

Hmmm...maybe we'll just make the sacrafice and go there anyway...we'll have to see.

Your incredible energy was portrayed very well in that post! Wow.

Reminds me a LOT of "Harvest" Christian Church in Riverside, California. (Greg Laurie). Amazing huge place... went a few times - but I'm Catholic so I still prefer the beautiful Catholic Mass usually - but it was fun to rock out and feel the energy of 2000 people in one building ya know? :)

Glad you loved it... glad I'm awesome too, although I have NO idea why I am. But who am I to argue? Hee hee.

Jody and I have been to that church too! Her brother and sister-in-law are members... We really liked the pastor, but it's so far away from us....let alone coming from where you live Lars!

Best regards from NY! » »

Post a Comment