« Home | Cyborg Name » | More Running and my goals + Chicago in Des Moines » | Running -- Day 3 and New Shoes! » | Running - Day Two » | "How are you today, Lars?" » | Housewarming Party Question » | B&W Photos » | Opinions » | Madagascar » | My Theatre Alumni » 

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 

3 Miles Last Night

I took Brad's advice and ran for distance, not time. I was going to run 20-30 minutes straight, or until I couldn't run anymore. Well, it ended up being 3 miles and 35 minutes. I think that's ok, I mean, I am sore today and I was last night, but I don't think it's necessarily bad to push myself. I know I wont be running tonight, taking the night off, and I didn't feel but maybe a couple times like I should stop and I pushed through those feelings, knowing I could go farther. At that 3 miles/35 minute mark I knew I was done though. Time to cool down. My legs last night and today are telling me I went to far, but they were telling me that the first night I ran too, they'll just have to buck up and take it!

I figure, another week or less and I'll be a good 5k-er. Just need to get up to a 26.2 miler :-) I think it'd be nice to try my luck on a 5K or two, and also try a half marathon before a full one.

I'm going to start going for stamina and endurance, rather than speed. I want to know I can run distances, and I want to know I can run it fairly easily. Right now I still feel to winded and worn out while I run, it needs to feel easier...but then again I started this less than a week ago, I just need to be patient! I definately know the first lap or two feels easier than when I started.

I feels so good to run, to know I'm doing something healthy for myself, to know I'm not taking the couch potato way out and I'm actually exerting myself. And it feels good to be getting better, which I think I am.

I just need to keep pushing myself on stamina and endurance. Last night I didn't run for speed, I ran for distance. I ran the first mile in probably 12 minutes...but I was ok with that, I was trying to go slower on purpose. Those sometimes it felt harder to go slower because I wasn't spreading out my legs as much and so it seemed they were working harder to go slower. I don't know, does that make sense?

Nothing but smiles over here though, I'm loving it! :-)